Well, there’s a lot of random things to update on, sadly the only thing I really would love to shout about (a spawn) hasn’t happened yet.
Meanwhile, a followup on the last pairing trial, the third attempt at a “Female Flip”, pairing a loner white stripe maroon with the massively larger “Labrador” white stripe maroon. The short story is that we’ll never know if it was going to work, as the Labrador Maroon Clown died. What I suspect happened was the bowl, which was tilted to allow tank water to circulate through, righted itself and in the process, closed off enough of the flow to cause the fish to asphyxiate. Of course, that could also not be what happened – this fish was probably a decade or more old, and may have just hit the end of the line. Hard to say based on the circumstances I found the dead fish in. Before it passed away however, the smaller maroon showed up simply torn to shreds. The best I could determine was that perhaps the small maroon had entered the larger fishbowl, received a beating, and then left. If that’s the case, it would mean that the “female flip” had failed (or at least had not worked yet).
On the water quality front, things are again driving me nuts in the Lightning Maroon’s tank. The pH hit a record high of 8.7 last night, and was 7.94 this morning. This, despite having not treated the tank with anything to raise the alkalinity or calcium levels (i.e. no dosing of two part) for a week. The corals are definite not looking happy; the Australian Blastomussa that had gone from 1 head to 5 heads appears to have died, and earlier last week I removed the Dragon Soul Favia that had also been previously growing well. The Frags of Aussie Pink Goniopora and Green Goniopora are failing to extend their polyps as well. I’m feeling terribly limited in options to deal with this problem given the small size of the tank, and that normally, it is simply a matter of depressed pH that occurs in smaller tanks. Time to hit the reef chemistry books yet again and see if I can’t figure something out. For now, I’ve reprogrammed the lights via the Apex to start turning off (thus slowing photosynthesis) if the pH hits 8.4, and then again more shut off at 8.5. Still, I’ve not yet programmed things correctly, as the pH is 8.46 right now and the light that is supposed to be off, is not. GRR. This simply cannot be GOOD for the fish, and I’m leaning towards water changes + buffer to at least help eliminate or reduce the low end of the swing – i.e. perhaps 8.3 to 8.7 is better than what I’m currently experiencing.
The final update, our club’s Apogee Quantum (PAR) Meter is finally here in working condition. I got to test PAR readings out of the modified Panorama fixture. With the 4 12K Gen 1 Panorama Units, 2 blue Stunner Strips, and 1 Gen 1 Blue Panorama Unit all running, it’s a total drain of 77 watts. For that 77 watts, with a semi-dirty cover glass, I am getting PAR readings of 150 to 250+ in the upper third of the tank where I have the majority of the Seriatpora corals growing. At the bottom, the readings obviously vary, but are generally 60-100 (i.e. the ORA Red Gonipora is thriving at a 100 PAR reading). As most of you know, these levels are capable of growing just about all photosynthetic organisms we may desire to keep, with the possible exception of Tridacna clams (which, per James Fatheree, really want PAR levels more like 500+). Right above the glass – 700+.