The Lightning Project

The ongoing saga of the PNG Lightning Maroon Clownfish Breeding Project

Browsing Posts tagged LxL Spawn #3

So despite two nights of attempted hatching of harvested eggs, I ultimately only got ONE viable larvae out of LxL Spawn #3.  It is in a BRT all by itself.

On 11/7/2014 – the F1 Lightning X Lightning pair threw down another nest…and once again, not on a tile.  I won’t be in town to try trapping or harvesting this nest, so I’ll have to wait for the next spawn. Will update with some photos as I’m able.

Not a lot of time tonight, so I get to be real quick.

Spawn #44 was laid by the F0 pair on late evening of 11/3/2014.  Spawn #43 ended up no hatching much when it was finally set up, but seems to have hatched apparently during the morning.

I opted to harvest 50% of the nest from the F1 Lightning X Lightning pair tonight, the 7th night post hatch, the overnight from 11/3 into 11/4. I used a very simple harvesting technique, using a section of air tubing, inserting the tip section from a 2 ml pipette, which was cut at an angle on the harvesting end.  The eggs were scraped from the back wall while the tubing was siphoning into a specimen cup.  The harvested eggs were added to a brine shrimp hatchery resting in a water bath in a BRT, with a bubble rate of a few bubbles per second.  3 larvae were dislodged from their eggs during harvest…one was viable and started swimming, while the other two appeared lifeless.

It’s the 7th night for Spawn #43 which was spawned on 10-22; we’re on the night of 10-29 going into 10-30 now; there wasn’t any noticeable hatch on the tile over the 6th night (I left it with the parents yesterady)….it will get pulled.  This is what Spawn #43 looked like when it was laid fresh on 10-22…I should also point out this is the first time I’ve taken pictures of the F0 original wild pair of Lightning Maroon X White Stripe PNG Maroon Clownfish.

DSC_0226_600w

DSC_0227_600w

DSC_0232_600w

DSC_0233_600w

DSC_0238_600w

The larvae from spawn #42 that are still alive have largely settled out…it was a small group, but I’ll find a way to work with them.  More importantly, it looks like LM X LM Spawn #2 might be over…I have not found any larvae in the BRT, so one more look, I repurposed  it for Spawn #43.  The eggs got the usual dip in H2O2, but started hatching during it, so they were moved straight into the BRT with 8 gallons of broodstock water and a few ML of RotiGrow Plus (only thing I had thawed…it’ll be fine for the first 24 hours and by that point I’ll have RotiGreen Omega up and running).

The most frustrating news is arguably LM X LM Spawn #3.  So..to recap.  Here was the first spawn:

F1 (Lightning X Lightning) first spawn for the Lightning Maroon Clownfish

 

So…I took some proactive steps and tiled the back wall of the tank.

This was LM X LM (or LxL if you prefer) Spawn #2 on the first attempted hatch night:

DSC_0219_600w

Yeah..that gray patch on the side..those are the eggs…

So that didn’t turn out obviously…so I tiled the side wall as well.

Here is Spawn #3, laid on 10/27/2014:

DSC_0451_600w

The internet shorthand FML seems somehow appropriate. Clearly the pair is flipping me the middle fin.

 

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.