…is that life has a way of giving you a nice smack in the face, aka a “reality check”. The old phrase “don’t count your [clownfish] before they hatch” seems to apply here.
I alluded to it at the end of my last post. Yes, the “Morse Code” Maroon is having issues…it showed signs almost immediately and 24 hours in I made the decision to move it into another empty tank and begin treatment. Not having the benefit of a laboratory, nor the luxury of a vet, I was forced to make a rapid guess and hope I was right. Time this weekend has been nonexistent (a visit to see my best friend who lives in DC, then a car was hit on the street, and a family member was put under and had surgery today, doing well thank you) but I’ve at least been staying on feeding and treatment regimes. Here’s where the Morse Code Maroon went…
So what exactly is wrong with the Morse Code Maroon? I’m not 100% sure, but I did notice what looked like “rawness” on the mouth when the fish was released. The pictures from that evening don’t really show it. 24 hours in, the mouth had turned gray and was showing signs of erosion, and so, the fish was moved. Here’s what I was looking at.
For the moment, I’ll just use the generic term “Mouth Rot”, which really describes only a symptom, something that could be caused by a myriad of possible vectors. As I stated earlier, not having a lot of time to diagnose and collaborate on this one, I went with Kanamycin, which I had on hand from the “lost shipment” when I was trying to switch antibiotics on the original female PNG Maroon. As an “shotgun approach” antibiotic, it was the recommendation of at least a couple of the project advisors earlier on. I figured, why not? Christine Williams and Boomer both definitely preferred it over my personal default, Erythromycin. Seems that Kanamycin is not that easy to find, but this is the one I’m using, from FishyFarmacy.com.
Today, I have to say I’ve not seen any signs of improvement. No, things appear to have gotten worse. Let the pictures speak for themselves:
Add on stringy feces, decreased activity, and the possibility of Brooklynella showing up (can’t say yet) and this fish is arguably going downhill fast. Tonight is the 4th of 5 scheduled doses of Kanamycin. I’m going to do it, but if time permits over the next 24 hours I’m going to solicit for opinions and do the researching I can do. Need to turn this fish around, FAST! I have a feeling I’ll be switching medications tomorrow.