The Lightning Project

The ongoing saga of the PNG Lightning Maroon Clownfish Breeding Project

Browsing Posts tagged Spawn #13

Spawn #14

No comments

So I get yet another chance.  The change in photoperiod set the fish off for a few weeks, but last Friday, October 18th, the 14th spawn was discovered.

An update on Spawn #13 – turns out I was wrong – once again, for the third time this year, there is a LONE survivor. And once again, as luck would have it, that lone survivor is a Lightning and not a white stripe.

This will be very short – I’ve just been swamped with freelance projects and endless deadlines and well, there’s just nothing good to report on the latest runs.

Spawn #12 did very well right up until metamorphosis.  Immediately after metamorphosis, every larvae would die.  I don’t know if it’s the different brine shrimp eggs I’m using (or even the fact that I’m using brine shrimp vs. not). It could also have been that I didn’t rear these with 24/7 lighting, but instead let them run on the regular photoperiod for the rack of tanks they were in.  Water quality remained spot on and the fish were well taken care of.  Thus ends Spawn #12.  Probably changed too many variables all at once, but at least I may be onto something regarding getting good hatches for these eggs.

Spawn #13 never did produce much larvae, wound up hatching out over 3 nights.  I found myself somewhat depleted on rotifers with this batch coming so quickly on the heels of spawn #12, so this batch really never stood a chance.  I augmented from day one with Otohime A, introduced brine shrimp as early as was reasonable, but found no larvae made it to settlement.

Unfortunately I may have put the pair off spawning for a little bit (might not be a bad thing while I regroup).  The lights on their system had been going off incredibly late in the night (eg. 3 AM) so I shifted the photoperiod. No spawns have come following this, which isn’t really a surprise.  I’ll be curious to see how far back this pushes them.

Meanwhile, as I just posted on Facebook, I have more Fire Clowns (Amphiprion ephippium) than I know what to do with.  Figures…

Spawn #13 Pulled – oops…

2 comments

So I pulled spawn #13 tonight…1 AM on 9-30-2013….since #13 was spawned on 9/24/2013, I really should have pulled on the night of 9/30/2013…which would be Monday night, not the wee-early morning hours of Monday as I type this.

What will this do?  Well, my other scatterbrained move was to once again apply a hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) bath…roughly 7.5 ML to 0.5 gallons…which is fine…’cept I ran it for 25 minutes instead of 15.  The eggs outwardly looked fine, but did I just kill them?  I hope not, and probably not.

Given that the last clutch was fine following treatment to hold for a day in artificial incubation, this gives me hope that if these are due to hatch in the next 24 hours, it will be just fine.  What I’m going to do now however, is add H2O2 at a low level (roughly 1 ML per gallon) to help keep the BRT I placed them into relatively clean (1 ML per gallon is a standard rate for incubation of Pterophyllum scalare, FW Angelfish, eggs…when dosed every 12-24 hours). This should cause no harm to the eggs but should also keep any pathogenic bacterial and such at bay.

- UPDATE - 

So….I’m adding drops of H2O2 to the water…I make it to 80 drops, roughly 4 ML and that’s when I noticed two newly hatched larvae swimming around the BRT.  So I stopped adding H2O2 and turned the light off…are these fish really going to hatch in 5 days? 2 DID.

I’m guessing it’s going to be a full and strong hatch Monday Night / Tuesday AM, provided I didn’t screw things up.

After a LONG day of bagging on Monday, today went surprisingly easy as reports trickled in from the high bidders on the round 3 fish.  As I type this now at 11 PM, all recipients have reported in that the fish arrived alive and in great shape.  Several compliments on the packing came in as well (I’m packing these fish per direct instructions from Mark Martin at Blue Zoo, and the packaging design seems to be very effective for such precious cargo).

Last night I moved all the remaining fish out of the grow-out system and into the individual cubes; at some point this week I hope to take the updated photos and determine which fish go in the next round.  I’m guessing a round of 5-6 fish.  I’ve told some people this already, but I’ll put it out there in the usual spirit of transparency associated with The Lightning Project.  My aim is to hold back the best last two fish; these will be the final auction IF it comes to that.  Blue Zoo and I have of course stood behind these fish arriving alive, and part of that guarantee has been that if there was a problem with a fish, we would invite the winning bidder to select another fish from the inventory of comparable quality -or- simply refund the money; buyers choice.  As we draw to a close, it’s tough to make that same offer, so any losses seen with this next group will need to have a fish that I feel is as good, if not superior to, any of the fish in the round….thus, I will be saving the best for last.  Presuming all fish from the next round make it well, it will leave 2 fish left for a last final round, 1 White Stripe and 1 Lightning, to which I will not have any replacements to offer.

Once those auctions are done, it will not be until winter/spring of 2014 before we can even hope to see more lightnings ready for market.  Spawn #12 is going well so far, eating me out rotifers, and as of today, 9-24-2013, Spawn #13 was thrown down!

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.