The Lightning Project

The ongoing saga of the PNG Lightning Maroon Clownfish Breeding Project

Browsing Posts tagged Spawn #43

Not a lot of time tonight, so I get to be real quick.

Spawn #44 was laid by the F0 pair on late evening of 11/3/2014.  Spawn #43 ended up no hatching much when it was finally set up, but seems to have hatched apparently during the morning.

I opted to harvest 50% of the nest from the F1 Lightning X Lightning pair tonight, the 7th night post hatch, the overnight from 11/3 into 11/4. I used a very simple harvesting technique, using a section of air tubing, inserting the tip section from a 2 ml pipette, which was cut at an angle on the harvesting end.  The eggs were scraped from the back wall while the tubing was siphoning into a specimen cup.  The harvested eggs were added to a brine shrimp hatchery resting in a water bath in a BRT, with a bubble rate of a few bubbles per second.  3 larvae were dislodged from their eggs during harvest…one was viable and started swimming, while the other two appeared lifeless.

It’s the 7th night for Spawn #43 which was spawned on 10-22; we’re on the night of 10-29 going into 10-30 now; there wasn’t any noticeable hatch on the tile over the 6th night (I left it with the parents yesterady)….it will get pulled.  This is what Spawn #43 looked like when it was laid fresh on 10-22…I should also point out this is the first time I’ve taken pictures of the F0 original wild pair of Lightning Maroon X White Stripe PNG Maroon Clownfish.

DSC_0226_600w

DSC_0227_600w

DSC_0232_600w

DSC_0233_600w

DSC_0238_600w

The larvae from spawn #42 that are still alive have largely settled out…it was a small group, but I’ll find a way to work with them.  More importantly, it looks like LM X LM Spawn #2 might be over…I have not found any larvae in the BRT, so one more look, I repurposed  it for Spawn #43.  The eggs got the usual dip in H2O2, but started hatching during it, so they were moved straight into the BRT with 8 gallons of broodstock water and a few ML of RotiGrow Plus (only thing I had thawed…it’ll be fine for the first 24 hours and by that point I’ll have RotiGreen Omega up and running).

The most frustrating news is arguably LM X LM Spawn #3.  So..to recap.  Here was the first spawn:

F1 (Lightning X Lightning) first spawn for the Lightning Maroon Clownfish

 

So…I took some proactive steps and tiled the back wall of the tank.

This was LM X LM (or LxL if you prefer) Spawn #2 on the first attempted hatch night:

DSC_0219_600w

Yeah..that gray patch on the side..those are the eggs…

So that didn’t turn out obviously…so I tiled the side wall as well.

Here is Spawn #3, laid on 10/27/2014:

DSC_0451_600w

The internet shorthand FML seems somehow appropriate. Clearly the pair is flipping me the middle fin.

 

It’s been a few late late nights waiting for results on the Lightning X Lightning pair’s second spawn. Given that they had either spawned on Thursday, Oct 16th, or Friday, Oct. 17th, and going off of their parents 6 day hatch window, I set up their tank on the evening of Wednesday, Oct 22nd, to prepare for a possible hatch.  This made sense given that it would either fit into the 6 day window if the eggs had been spawned on the 16th. No hatch was observed. On Thursday night, Oct 23rd, I encountered a very small hatch around 3 AM, a solid hour after lights out.  But, nothing furhter happened, so the 10 or so larvae I had snagged simply sat in the snagger for the next 24 hours.  And now, Friday night, the 24th, going into Saturday AM, it’s now just shy of 4:00 AM and I just finished “putting away” around 50-100 larvae from the F1 Lightning X Lightning pairing.  I snagged them with the Vossen Larval Snagger…ultimately most totally bypassed the snagger, so I had to set up a LED crank-charge flashlight and manually attract the larvae to it. I also had to really crank up the flow rate faster than I was comfortable with, but if I hadn’t done that, I watched as most every larvae would swim back out of the trap once it realized what was happening.

I gave LxL Spawn #2 a very weak dosage of RotiGrow Omega (yes, I know this is not ideal, but I need to thaw out some new RotiGreen) and placed a half gallon’s worth of SS-strain rotifers (because I have those going now as well, thanks Mike) along with roughly 4.5 gallons of broodstock water in a BRT downstairs. Now we wait. Knowing how these fish tend to color up quickly, as long as I don’t massively screw up, we should get an idea of what’s going on very soon…eg. within 30 days.

The larvae from Lightning Maroon Spawn #42 did not do well despite what appeared to be a solid hatch on their second night.  I’m guessing no more than 6 are still viable.

Back on Wednesday, Oct 22nd, 2014, the Lightning Maroon and her mate threw down Spawn #43.  A beautiful nest.  I have a lot of photos in the camera to post, but I’m still recovering from two back-to-back laptop rebuilds, so pictures are just going to have to wait for now.

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.